Carbon Monoxide

August 30, 2019
Properties Divided Into Flats
October 11, 2019
Show all

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill.

According to the NHS, more than 50 people die in the UK from Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning every year and 200 people are left seriously ill.

What you need to know:

It’s a poisonous gas

Carbon Monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of gas and liquid petroleum gas.

It’s a silent killer

Inhaling CO prevents oxygen from being carried around your body, even if it’s just a small amount. Over a long period of time, this can cause serious harm to your health and can even result in death.

You can’t smell it

It can leak from incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained gas appliances as well as flues, chimneys and blocked vents.

An alarm can save your life

Every home should have an audio CO alarm. They’re available from local DIY stores and supermarkets for around £15. Your energy supplier may also be able to provide you with one.

You need to act fast

If you smell gas or suspect CO poisoning, call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 immediately.

A safety check’s essential

If you have a gas boiler, you should get a registered Gas Safe engineer to check it at least once a year. For more information, visit or call 0800 408 5500.