What is a smart meter?
Smart meters are an exciting new type of energy meter that could help you save time, energy and money.
- You can save time: smart meters send readings automatically, so you won’t have to read your meter again – your bills should always be accurate and up-to-date.
- You can save energy and money: tracking how much energy you’re using in pounds and pence, and in real-time, could help you save money.
- You can get a smart meter installed at no extra cost: all energy suppliers in the UK are fitting them between now and 2020 as part of the smart meter rollout. You’ll be able to get smart meter upgrades for electricity and/or gas to replace your existing meters, depending on what type they are.
What happens when you get a smart meter installed
Once your appointment is confirmed for smart meter installation, you should receive reminders two weeks before, and further reminders one week and the day before your gas and electricity smart meter upgrade.
What you need to do before the appointment
- Clear any obstacles so our engineer can safely get to your current meters, boiler and any other gas appliances.
- There will need someone over 18 to be at home while we install your smart meter technology, do please arrange this beforehand.
- Please pop any pets in a separate room so our engineer can work safely.
- For your peace of mind, Gas Engineers always carry an ID badge that they’ll show you at the door. Don’t be afraid to ask for it.
Your smart meter installation step by step
- Inspection – Gas Engineer will first do a visual inspection to check your boiler and other gas appliances are working correctly. They’ll also take a final reading from your old meters before your smart meter installation. This way we can make sure your account is up to date.
- Installation – After these checks, Gas Engineer will get started on installing your smart meter. It’ll take around two hours, and the engineer will need to switch the electricity and gas off for around half an hour. They’ll let you know before doing this, just in case you want to pop the kettle on beforehand.
- Final checks – When the engineer has finished installing your electricity and gas smart meters, they’ll check everything thoroughly. You’ll then be up and running. If you’ve got any mains connected alarms, it’s worth double checking they’re working correctly.
After your smart meter installation
Once they’ve finished the installation, Gas Engineer will explain to you how your new smart meters work and how to use the smart meter in home display.
They’ll also give you a few tips on how to save energy around the house.
Smart metering code of practice
We’re a signatory of the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice (SMICoP). This means we’re committed to making your smart meter installation as smooth as possible throughout the process.
We promise to:
- Arrange your energy smart meter installation for a time that suits you
- Provide all the information you need in good time
- Show you how to use and make the most of your smart metering kit to help improve the energy efficiency of your home
- Ensure our engineers are trained to give you a high quality service